The People’s National Party (PNP) caretaker for the Kingston Central constituency, Imani Duncan-Price, has called for the Zone of Special Operations (ZOSO) in Parade Gardens to be expanded after more than 30 people were left homeless following a firebombing in Central Kingston on Monday morning.
In an interview with the Jamaica Star, Duncan-Price shared with the outlet that she began receiving phone calls minutes shy of 5:00 a.m. from the residents of James Street and Smith Lane, who told her that homes had been firebombed and that the flames had spread to others.
According to Duncan-Price, she arrived to find complete devastation and the burnt remains of six yards that had been lost in the fire. Duncan-Price revealed that residents heard a barrage of gunshots and in the process of running to safety, were unable to save anything from the conflagration.
The Kingston Central caretaker highlighted a recent incident between the areas of Wildman Street and Smith Lane where police came under fire from gunmen. She called for the ZOSO to be expanded to include the crime-plagued area to protect its residents.
The victims of the massive fire are inclusive of roughly eight elderly people and 12 children, ranging between the ages of 18-months-old and 16, who Duncan-Price said have been left completely traumatized following the incident.
Duncan-Price pleaded with the Mayor of Kingston and the Minister of Labour and Social Security, Karl Samuda, to assist the residents with emergency supplies.
Watch Duncan-Price’s interview below.
RELATED: May Pen Police Station On Fire?