Cristiano Ronaldo Exits Manchester United For a Second Time
A little over a year after his grand return to Manchester United in 2021, Cristiano Ronaldo and Man United agreed to terminate the player’s contract with immediate effect on Tuesday.
Manchester United announced Ronaldo’s departure from the club in a short statement that thanked the 37-year-old for his many contributions to the club and said the decision had been made mutually. In a statement of his own, Ronaldo also expressed that both parties had come to an agreement and said, “Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early.
“I love Manchester United, and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge. “I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.”
The decision comes after Ronaldo’s contentious two-part interview with British broadcaster Piers Morgan on November 16–17. In the interview, the footballer expressed his disappointment with the club and said that he felt betrayed and had no respect for Man United manager Erik ten Hag.
Expressing that the club did not support him while his daughter was ill, Ronaldo stated that they did not believe him when he explained that it was not possible for him to attend pre-season because his daughter was in the hospital. According to Ronaldo, high-ranking members of the club were also attempting to force him out.
The forward first signed with Man United in 2003 for £12.24m and went on to win multiple Premier League titles before leaving for Real Madrid in a then-world-record deal worth £80m. After playing for the Italian club Juventus F.C., he returned to Manchester in August 2021.